Tuesday 22 January 2019

Song Video


This time you will work in pairs, first of all you will look for a song you like.
You should analyze the lyrics, paying attention to the theme more than to the story, read between lines, hidden meanings... We have to understand its tone and its mood
Then you will make a 'short film' to get us into the mood of the piece, more than into the descriptions. The aim of this essay is to understand the relationship between message and cinema.

Here you have an example with the song Space Oddity by David Bowie

David Robert Jones (1947 –2016) was an English singer, songwriter and actor. He was a leading figure in the music industry and is considered one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century, particularly for his innovative work during the 1970s. 

"Space Oddity" is from . 
It was released July 1969 during a period of great interest in space flight. But it was inspired also in Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), the song tells us about the launch of an astronaut into space. Bowie would later revisit his "Major Tom" character in different songs.


When I saw that huge wheel in Alderdi Eder, inmediatly I thought it would match with Space Oddity. The idea of "floating in a peculiar way" and the images of the earth from above tangle up to my mind. Here is my version:


"Space Oddity"


Ground Control to Major Tom
Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills
and put your helmet on

Ground Control to Major Tom
Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you

[spoken]
Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One, Liftoff

This is Ground Control
to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule
if you dare

This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating
in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past
one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much
she knows

Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you....

Here am I floating
round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment